ERBIL, Kurdistan Region of Iraq - No specific timeline has been set to announce the results of the investigations into the attack on Khor Mor gas field, a top Iraqi military spokesperson told The New Region on Sunday, with the investigating committee having failed to produce any reports three days after the incident.
A strike targeted the Khor Mor gas field in Sulaimani province late Wednesday, shutting down production at the key field, and severely slashing the Kurdistan Region’s electricity production for days.
A high-level investigative committee conducted a field inspection at the site on Friday.
“There is no specific time so far to announce the results of the investigations… as the main committee and the technical committee have not completed their investigations,” Sabah al-Numan, spokesperson for the commander-in-chief of the Iraqi armed forces, told The New Region on Sunday, adding that the findings will be revealed to the public once the probe is completed.
Numan previously said on Friday that the results of the investigations “will appear within 72 hours after determining the causes of the incident and the parties responsible for it.”
A well-informed source from the Iraqi Joint Operations Command told The New Region on Sunday that the subcommittees finished their work and returned to Baghdad, but have yet to produce a report on their findings.
Another committee, composed of representatives from the Iraqi federal government, the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG), and the security institutions, is set to conduct a visit to Khor Mor in the coming days, the source added.
The attack on Khor Mor slashed the Kurdistan Region’s power production by nearly 80 percent. The strike also disrupted power delivery to the provinces of Nineveh, Kirkuk, and Salahaddin.
The KRG electricity ministry announced that the Kurdistan Region’s electricity supply will return to normal within 24 hours, after gas shipments from Khor Mor to power stations resumed early Sunday.
KRG Electricity Minister Kamal Mohammed told The New Region that power generation capacity has been restored to 2,000 MW, adding that full production, reaching 4,500 MW, is expected to resume by Sunday evening.