ERBIL, Kurdistan Region of Iraq - The Syrian Presidency on Tuesday claimed to have reached “a joint understanding” with the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) to practically integrate all military and civil institutions in Rojava (northeast Syria) into the state within four days.
The Syrian Arab Army has waged a violent campaign against SDF-held areas since Monday, with the Damascus factions rapidly advancing toward Rojava despite reaching a ceasefire agreement a day earlier.
The Syrian Presidency said on Tuesday that they have reached an understanding over the future of Hasaka, and that “it was agreed to grant the SDF a period of four days for consultation in order to develop a detailed plan for the mechanism of integrating the regions in practice.”
“The two parties agreed to integrate all military and security forces of the SDF into the Ministries of Defense and Interior, with discussions continuing on the detailed integration mechanism, and that civilian institutions will be integrated into the structure of the Syrian government,” the statement added.
The Syrian government has repeatedly claimed to have reached political and deescalation agreements with the SDF in recent weeks, but has continued to attack the Kurdish forces and areas.
Minutes before the Presidency statement, SDF Commander Mazloum Abdi said Damascus “has not responded” to any ceasefire initiative over the past two weeks, calling on the interim Syrian government to “stop the attacks and return to the dialogue table.”
The expansion of the Syrian Arab Army’s campaign into Rojava has raised fears of potential massacres against the Kurdish forces and Kurdish civilians in the area.
“In the event of an agreement, the Syrian forces will not enter the centers of the cities of Hasaka and Qamishli and will remain on their outskirts, and the timetable and details of the peaceful integration of Hasaka Governorate, including the city of Qamishli, will be discussed later,” said the presidency, further alluding to a possible violent escalation against the Kurds.
The presidency claimed that Damascus forces “will not enter the Kurdish villages, and that no armed forces will be present in those villages except for local security forces from the region, in accordance with the agreement.”
The implementation of the understanding will enter into effect from 8 pm Tuesday, according to the statement. There has been no official confirmation from the SDF as of the writing of this article.
Shortly after the announcement, the Syrian defense ministry announced a four-day ceasefire on Tuesday, starting at 8:00 pm on the evening, and spanning "all sectors of the Syrian Arab Army operations."
The Syrian Arab Army's advances have resulted in a security crisis, with hundreds of ISIS members reportedly gaining their freedom in the messy handover of prisons between the two forces, with several footage across social media purportedly showing the Syrian army freeing the prisoners previously held by the Kurdish-led force.