ERBIL, Kurdistan Region of Iraq – The US State Department on Wednesday announced that it has revoked immigration privileges of 18 more Iranian officials and their families over alleged “serious violations of human rights” amid waning nationwide protests.
The move comes after the US revoked immigration privileges for families and associates of Iranian officials in response to the regime’s “brutal oppression” of protesters in January, following a crackdown on nationwide protests. It brings the total to 58 officials with revoked visas.
“This visa restriction policy will target individuals who are complicit, or believed to be complicit, in serious violations of human rights, particularly inhibiting the right of Iranians to free expression and peaceful assembly,” The US Department of State said in a statement.
Iran has been rocked by nationwide protests since late last year, which have spread to the majority of provinces and increasingly become anti-government in nature, prompting a violent crackdown from Iranian authorities.
The State Department added that Secretary of State Marco Rubio is taking steps to impose visa restrictions on “18 Iranian regime officials and telecommunications industry leaders, as well as their immediate family members.”
A total of 58 individuals have now been affected by the new restrictions so far, it said, adding that Washington will continue to use “all tools available” to expose and promote accountability for abuses by Iranian regime officials.
In September, the US State Department imposed additional restrictions under its “maximum pressure” policy, barring Iran’s UN delegation from visiting luxury shops and limiting their travel to strictly necessary areas while in New York. The move was condemned by Tehran.
The announcement comes as Tehran and Washington engage in indirect talks over Iran’s nuclear program.
The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency has reported that Iranian security forces have killed more than 7,000 protesters and injured over 11,000 since demonstrations began in late December.
Monitors have also warned that protesters arrested for their involvement in Iran’s ongoing nationwide protests have been subjected to ‘widespread’ sexual violence while in custody, resulting in severe psychological damage.