News

Iraq vows to prevent attacks on UAE, Saudi Arabia from its territory

May. 20, 2026 • 2 min read
Image of Iraq vows to prevent attacks on UAE, Saudi Arabia from its territory The meeting of the Iraqi National Security Council on May 20, 2026. Photo: Iraqi PMO

"A special committee was formed to approach those concerned in the two countries, and the Commander-in-Chief directed that all measures be taken against those involved if it is proven that Iraqi territory was used as a launching point for those attacks," said spokesperson Sabah al-Numan.

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region of Iraq - A Wednesday meeting of Iraq's National Security Council saw participants reject the use of Iraqi territory for the staging of attacks on Saudi Arabia and the UAE, pledging to form a committee to investigate recent strikes alleged to have emanated from within Iraq.

 

"Prime Minister and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces Ali al-Zaidi chaired the first meeting of the National Security Council," said spokesperson Sabah al-Numan. "The meeting reiterated its condemnation of the recent attacks targeting the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, emphasizing the government's rejection of the use of Iraqi territory or airspace for attacks against brotherly Arab states and friendly regional countries, and stressing that it will act decisively on this matter."

 

The Saudi defense ministry on Sunday announced that it had intercepted at least three drones that originated from Iraqi airspace. Similarly, the Emirati defense ministry said Tuesday that earlier drone attacks on its nuclear plant were found to have “all originated from Iraqi territory,” stressing that Abu Dhabi reserves its “full right to take all necessary measures” to protect its security and sovereignty.

 

The UAE on Wednesday condemned the "treacherous terrorist attacks launched by drones from Iraqi territory," calling on Baghdad "to urgently and unconditionally prevent all hostile acts emanating from its territory, and to address these threats urgently."

 

Reuters reported last week that both Saudi Arabia and Kuwait conducted kinetic strikes on pro-Iran militias within Iraq during the course of the regional war.

 

"A special committee was formed to approach those concerned in the two countries, and the Commander-in-Chief directed that all measures be taken against those involved if it is proven that Iraqi territory was used as a launching point for those attacks," Numan continued, as quoted by Iraqi state media.

 

"The government will not tolerate any individual or group that seeks to threaten the security of Iraq or the security of its brothers and the countries of the region."

 

Iran-aligned factions have repeatedly targeted Gulf states during the US-Israeli war on Iran in conjunction with Iranian strikes on regional countries deemed to be assisting the war effort.

 

In late March, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, and Jordan in a joint statement condemned strikes attributed to Iran-aligned factions in Iraq against neighboring countries and infrastructure, urging Baghdad to immediately stop attacks launched from its territory.

 

Restraining the actions of pro-Iran factions, many of which fall under the auspices of the state-integrated Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF), has emerged as a key challenge for the new Zaidi premiership, with the US having repeatedly stressed the necessity of tackling such groups.

 

NEWSLETTER

Get the latest updates delivered to your inbox.