News

Trump says agreement with Iran ‘largely negotiated’

May. 23, 2026 • 2 min read
Image of Trump says agreement with Iran ‘largely negotiated’ US President Donald Trump. File photo: AFP

“An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries,” Trump announced on Truth Social.

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region of Iraq - US President Donald Trump said Saturday “an Agreement has been largely negotiated” with Iran but “subject to finalization” after reviewing the latest draft from Tehran and concluding a call at the Oval Office with several world leaders.

 

“An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

 

“Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly,” he added.

 

Trump spoke with several world leaders about the draft Iran sent earlier in the day, including Turkey, Gulf countries, and Israel.

 

Iran on Saturday said it has worked towards converging opinions with the US in a 14-point proposal to continue peace talks, adding that there are still gaps despite the progress made.

 

Hours later, Trump told Axios he would be holding a meeting with special envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner later in the day to discuss the latest draft by Iran, adding it was a “solid 50/50” whether he would make a deal or “blow them to kingdom come.”

 

The US-Israel war with Iran began in late February until the two sides reached a ceasefire in April, ending hostilities for the most part.

 

Following the ceasefire, the two sides have held one round of face-to-face talks mediated by Pakistan that resulted in no deal. Since then they have traded proposals for a comprehensive peace agreement, with Iran calling Washington’s demands excessive and Washington dubbing Tehran’s unacceptable.

 

Pakistan has continued efforts as the official mediator with Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi visiting Tehran last week, followed by Army Chief Asim Munir, who arrived Friday, meeting with senior Iranian officials in a push for ending the war.

 

Separately, a Qatari delegation also visited Tehran on Friday to support mediation efforts.

NEWSLETTER

Get the latest updates delivered to your inbox.