ERBIL, Kurdistan Region of Iraq – Condemnations poured in from Iraqi and Kurdish political parties on Monday after Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani’s personal office was targeted by Iranian drones earlier in the day.
Kurdish counterterrorism forces on Monday said that two Iranian explosive-laden drones targeted Prime Minister Barzani’s office and the residence of the Region’s security chief in Erbil province. The attacks caused no casualties.
Iraq’s State of Law Coalition, headed by former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki condemned the attack, calling it a “blatant violation.” The coalition emphasized the importance of Iraq maintaining sovereignty “over all of its territory.”
Former Prime Minister Mohammed Shia’ al-Sudani’s Reconstruction and Development Coalition also condemned the attack in a statement to The New Region, adding that they await Baghdad’s stance on the development and will have a public statement once more details are made public.
The Sunni Taqadum Party, meanwhile, reaffirmed that they will back “any resolution” proposed by the Kurdish parties in the Iraqi parliament aimed at ensuring an end to the attacks, while “strongly” condemning the strikes.
The Badr Organization condemned the aggression “in the strongest terms,” political bureau member Abu Mithaq al-Masari told The New Region earlier on Monday, adding that the organization has repeatedly called for the restriction of arms to the state.
The National Wisdom Movement (Hikma) also “strongly” denounced the attack in a statement to The New Region.
The attacks mark a dangerous escalation and come amid constant strikes targeting Kurdistan – both from Iran and Iran-aligned armed groups in Iraq – since the onset of the regional war.
Prime Minister Barzani himself condemned the attack as “reckless and unacceptable” in a post on X, calling the strikes a “direct threat” to the Region’s security.
The Kurdistan Region’s political parties also condemned the attack.
The Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP), of which Barzani is a deputy president, condemned the attack, calling it "a dangerous development and detrimental to the development of relations."
"We clearly emphasize that it is the duty of the Iraqi federal government to speak out seriously on this issue and prevent these attacks and violations, and to counter such violations as soon as possible in an appropriate manner,” the party said in a statement.
The Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) “strongly condemned” the strikes.
“We strongly condemn the terrorist attacks on the Kurdistan Region Prime Minister’s office,” Harem Kamal Agha, head of the PUK bloc in the Iraqi parliament, told The New Region.
Kurdistan Region Deputy Prime Minister and senior PUK member Qubad Talabani also "strongly" condemned the aggression, calling the attack "not only a disrespect to the peaceful role of the Kurdistan Region, but also a dangerous violation of Iraqi sovereignty," in a statement.
The Kurdistan Justice Group (Komal) and the Kurdistan Islamic Union (KIU) denounced the attack in separate statements earlier in the day.
The Kurdistan Region’s leaders have repeatedly stressed neutrality, asserting that Erbil is not party to the regional war. The Region has been subjected to hundreds of drone strikes since the breakout of the US-Israeli war on Iran in late February.
While Iran and Iran-backed armed groups claim the attacks target US interests in the Kurdistan Region, vital infrastructure has also been struck, including oil and gas facilities and residences of the Region’s leaders.
President Masoud Barzani said in late March that his residence was targeted five times, adding that he "remained silent to avoid provoking public anxiety and anger."
Kurdish security forces have also been the subject of attacks. In late March, six Kurdish Peshmerga soldiers were killed and 30 others injured in an Iranian ballistic missile attack in Erbil’s Soran administration.