News

NATO ‘prepared’ to defend allies amid reported Iran threat

Aug. 19, 2026 • 2 min read
Image of NATO ‘prepared’ to defend allies amid reported Iran threat File photo: AFP
Listen the audio version of this article

A NATO official said in a statement to The New Region that the alliance’s “deterrence and defence posture is strong and effective,” adding that “NATO is prepared to address any threat and will always do what is necessary to defend all Allies.”

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region of Iraq – NATO is “prepared to address” any threats facing its member states, a NATO official told The New Region on Wednesday, amid emerging reports of Tehran eyeing US targets in Europe.

 

The Financial Times, citing two sources close to the Iranian government, on Wednesday reported that its forces had weighed potential strikes on US assets in southeastern Europe, including Bulgaria which approved the use of one of its airbases for US aircraft refuelling last month.

 

A NATO official said in a statement to The New Region that the alliance’s “deterrence and defence posture is strong and effective,” adding that “NATO is prepared to address any threat and will always do what is necessary to defend all Allies.”

 

Earlier this year, “NATO air defences successfully intercepted ballistic missiles heading to Turkey from Iran on four separate occasions,” the official added.

 

In March, Turkey announced the interception of ballistic munitions in its airspace, allegedly originating from Iran, by NATO air and missile defense assets on two separate occasions.

 

Iran denied involvement in the attacks, saying “there is a malicious regime in the region” with a long track record of “sabotage operations.”

 

NATO forces have also come under attack in the Middle East during hostilities between the US and Iran which started in late February.

 

Baghdad’s Camp Victory, an American military facility that housed NATO personnel, was repeatedly targeted by drone strikes.

NEWSLETTER

Get the latest updates delivered to your inbox.