ERBIL, Kurdistan Region of Iraq - Iraq has formed a special committee to contact authorities in other countries where stolen funds are suspected to be held, with Lebanon sticking out as the main destination in question, an official said Sunday.
Jamal Kocher, a member of the Iraqi parliament's finance committee told The New Region that an estimated minimum of $18 billion had been taken to Lebanon after 2003, while the number could exceed $40 billion.
He added that the numbers are part of the $140 billion that former Iraqi President Barham Salih had said were smuggled abroad.
Jassem Ajaqah, an economic expert, said the estimated $40 billion may only be the funds that went through banks, adding that the remaining amount could still belong to the private sector, traders, and shell companies.
The initiative comes amid an anti-corruption crackdown by Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi that started with a sweeping raid of Baghdad’s Green Zone in late June, which saw the arrest of several high-ranking Iraqi officials.
By late July, Iraq had seized over $125 million and 380 kilograms of gold and jewelry hidden in various places in a corruption case involving Adnan al-Jumaili, the detained oil ministry undersecretary for refining affairs.
Zaidi’s clampdown on corruption has witnessed widespread support across the Iraqi political sphere, including the ruling Coordination Framework.