ERBIL, Kurdistan Region of Iraq – US President Donald Trump late Monday said that he will be “indirectly” involved in the second round of US-Iran nuclear talks in Geneva, warning of potential consequences of not reaching a deal.
“I’ll be involved in those talks, indirectly, and they’ll be very important,” Trump told reporters aboard the Air Force One.
Iran and the US are set to hold another round of negotiations over Tehran’s nuclear program on Tuesday in Geneva. The Iranian delegation is headed by Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, while Special Envoy Steve Witkoff heads the American delegation.
In addressing whether a potential deal with Tehran is possible, the president replied: “I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal, they wanna make a deal.”
Tehran and Washington restarted indirect nuclear talks in Oman earlier this month. While the threat of military action lingers, both sides described the first round of negotiations as positive.
Reports of the US sending the USS Gerald R. Ford, the largest aircraft carrier in the world, to the Middle East were recently confirmed by the American president, seeking to back up the USS Abraham Lincoln already in the Gulf.
The talks in Muscat primarily focused on Iran’s nuclear program, the raison d'etre of crippling sanctions imposed by Western countries on the country. The US has also demanded Iran terminate its ballistic missile program, a demand firmly rejected by Tehran.
On Monday, Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei asserted that the US position regarding the Iranian nuclear program has “moved towards a more realistic one.”
US Secretary Marco Rubio meanwhile stressed that striking a deal with Iran is “not easy,” during a press conference in Budapest, due to the country’s religious leadership who “make policy decisions on the basis of pure theology.”
However, he noted that “I think there’s an opportunity here to diplomatically reach an agreement that addresses the things we’re concerned about.”
Following a White House visit, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday that Trump is creating “the conditions for achieving a good agreement” with Iran and that Trump believes Tehran has “already learned who they are dealing with.”