ERBIL, Kurdistan Region of Iraq – The Iranian negotiating delegation is set to submit a “detailed proposal” to the American side following the Tuesday talks in Geneva, aimed at addressing the gaps between the two parties, a US official said on Wednesday.
High-level American and Iranian delegations met in Geneva on Tuesday to hold a new round of negotiations, with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi saying that they have reached a “general agreement on a series of guiding principles” for a new deal.
A US official told The New Region that while progress has been achieved in the talks, “many details still remain to be discussed.”
“The Iranians told our negotiating delegation that within the next two weeks they will return to the table with a detailed proposal aimed at addressing the gaps that exist in the positions of both sides,” the official said.
US Vice President JD Vance, in an interview with Fox News, said that while the negotiations with Tehran went well “in some ways,” Iranian authorities are not willing to acknowledge US President Donald Trump’s “red lines.”
Expanding on the “red lines,” Vance noted that Washington does not want Iran to reach nuclear proliferation, arguing that would enable other regimes also to possess “the most dangerous weapons in the world.”
The vice president said that Trump would prefer for the matter to be resolved through dialogue, “but the president has all options on the table.”
Iran has routinely denied intent to possess a nuclear weapon, asserting that its uranium enrichment program is used for “peaceful purposes.”
The Iranian side has also noted progress in the recent talks, with Araghchi stressing that "good progress was made compared to the previous meeting," after the meeting, "the path has begun and can lead to an agreement."
Tehran and Washington restarted indirect nuclear talks in Oman earlier this month. While the threat of military action lingers, both sides described the first round of negotiations as positive.