News

Trump says will know over next 10 days if Iran nuclear deal possible

Feb. 19, 2026 • 2 min read
Image of Trump says will know over next 10 days if Iran nuclear deal possible US President Donald Trump at the inaugural Board of Peace meeting in Washington on February 19, 2026. Photo: AFP

"It's proven to be over the years not easy to make a meaningful deal with Iran. We have to make a meaningful deal otherwise bad things happen," said US President Donald Trump.

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region of Iraq - US President Donald Trump, speaking at the inaugural session of the Trump-backed Board of Peace, said that "you're gonna be finding out over probably the next ten days" if a nuclear deal with Iran is possible, adding, "We have to make a meaningful deal; otherwise, bad things happen."

 

The Board of Peace, an international peacemaking body initially envisioned by the Trump administration to facilitate the peace process in Gaza, has taken on an increasingly salient role in global affairs, with leaders from around the globe attending the board's first session in Washington on Thursday.

 

In his opening remarks, Trump hailed examples of peace agreements achieved worldwide during his tenure, while also touching on the ongoing process of indirect nuclear negotiations with Iran.

 

"Good talks are being had," Trump asserted, offering the next ten days as a timeframe after which one will know if a deal is achievable. "It's proven to be over the years not easy to make a meaningful deal with Iran. We have to make a meaningful deal; otherwise, bad things happen."

 

The US president highlighted the June 2025 US strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities, which ruptured a similar set of negotiations that had been proceeding in the months prior, as something that helped bring about regional peace, warning that Washington "may have to take it a step further" should a deal not be realized this time around.

 
"Now is the time for Iran to join us on a path that will complete what we're doing," he continued. "If they don't join us... it will be a very different path."
 
Both Tehran and Washington have hailed the progress made during the two rounds of resumed negotiations, held in Oman and Switzerland respectively, though a large-scale US military buildup in the region has elevated Iranian fears of yet another military intervention.
 
A US official on Wednesday told The New Region that "the Iranians told our negotiating delegation that within the next two weeks they will return to the table with a detailed proposal aimed at addressing the gaps that exist in the positions of both sides."
 
Iran has long fingered Israel as a negative influence on US policy in the Middle East, asserting that the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is seeking to push Washington into an armed confrontation with Iran, often citing the 2003 US-led Iraq invasion, which Trump has repeatedly criticized, as a cautionary tale.
 
Netanyahu on Thursday said that "if the ayatollahs make a mistake and attack us, they will receive a response they cannot even imagine." 

NEWSLETTER

Get the latest updates delivered to your inbox.