News

Drone strike sparks fire at UAE nuclear plant generator

May. 17, 2026 • 3 min read
Image of Drone strike sparks fire at UAE nuclear plant generator An undated photo of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant. Photo: WAM.

The attack involved three drones entering from the country’s western border, two of the drones were successfully intercepted while the third hit the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the Dhafra region.

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region of Iraq – A drone attack on Sunday hit an Abu Dhabi nuclear power plant, causing a fire in one of its generators, the UAE's defense ministry said. The strikes led to no injuries, and radiation levels remained stable.

 

The attack involved three drones entering from the country’s western border, two of the drones were successfully intercepted while the third hit the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the Dhafra region, according to the UAE’s defense ministry.

 

“Authorities in Abu Dhabi responded to a fire incident that broke out in an electrical generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the Al Dhafra Region, caused by a drone strike,” Abu Dhabi Media Office stated.

 

The strike resulted in no injuries, and no impact on radiological safety levels was reported, according to the media office.

 

The Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation (FANR) confirmed that the fire “did not affect the safety of the power plant or the readiness of its essential systems.”

 

Rafael Grossi, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), expressed “grave concern” over the incident, asserting that any military activity that threatens nuclear safety is “unacceptable.”

 

Grossi reiterated his call for “maximum military restraint near any NPP [nuclear power plant] to avoid the danger of a nuclear accident.”

 

UAE Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan held a phone call with Grossi following the attack, stressing Abu Dhabi’s “full right” to respond and “take all necessary measures to protect its security.” 

 

The drones entered the country from the “western border direction,” according to the defense ministry statement.

 

The ministry added that “investigations are underway to determine the source of the attacks,” with further details set to be announced following the completion of the investigation process.

 

The attacks come amid heightened regional tensions in recent months following the outbreak of the US-Israeli war on Iran.

 

The UAE, which houses a significant US military presence, was a key target for Iranian ballistic missiles and drone attacks during the regional conflict.

 

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Friday said that “the UAE stood alongside the United States and Israel” in their war on Iran, accusing Abu Dhabi of providing them “with its airspace and territory.”

 

Araghchi critized an alleged secret meeting between Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, that was announced by Netanyahu's office but denied by the UAE. The Iranian top diplomat termed the visit "unforgivable”.

 

According to data published by the defense ministry, the UAE’s air defenses had engaged “a total of 537 ballistic missiles, 26 cruise missiles, and 2,256 UAVs” from Iran, before a two-week ceasefire took effect between Iran and the US on April 8.

 

Earlier in May, Abu Dhabi banned its nationals from traveling to Iran, Lebanon and Iraq due to the current regional security climate.

NEWSLETTER

Get the latest updates delivered to your inbox.