News

Iraq says did not detect drones launched toward Saudi Arabia

May. 18, 2026 • 2 min read
Image of Iraq says did not detect drones launched toward Saudi Arabia The Iraqi foreign ministry headquarters in Baghdad. Photo: Iraqi foreign ministry

The Iraqi foreign ministry said that "no information regarding the drones was detected by Iraqi air defense systems or optical equipment," calling on Saudi Arabian authorities to "cooperate and exchange relevant information to facilitate the acquisition of accurate intelligence."

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region of Iraq – Baghdad on Monday expressed “deep concern” over reports that drones were launched toward Saudi Arabia from Iraqi territory, saying no evidence of the drones had been detected by Iraqi surveillance systems and that an investigation had been launched into the matter.

 

The Saudi defense ministry on Sunday announced that it had intercepted at least three drones that originated from Iraqi airspace. The incident followed a similar attack on Kuwait the previous month involving two drones launched from Iraqi territory.

 

In a statement, the Iraqi foreign ministry expressed its “deep concern regarding reports of three drone attacks targeting facilities in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia,” and reiterated Baghdad’s “firm stance against any attacks on brotherly nations.”

 

The ministry added that “relevant authorities have immediately initiated the necessary verification and investigation procedures to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident.”

 

The statement further asserted that no information about the drones has been detected by Iraqi air defense systems or optical equipment, and called on Riyadh to “cooperate and exchange relevant information” to obtain accurate intelligence.

 

Tensions between Saudi Arabia and Iraq have risen over cross-border attacks launched from Iraqi territory during the US-Israel war with Iran.

 

On Monday, Kuwait strongly condemned the attack on Saudi Arabia, calling it “a series of flagrant violations of international law.” Qatar and the UAE also issued condemnation statements.

 

In late March, Kuwait joined Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, and Jordan in a joint statement condemning strikes attributed to Iran-aligned factions in Iraq against neighboring countries and infrastructure, urging Baghdad to immediately stop attacks launched from its territory.

 

During its war against the US and Israel, Iran and its proxies targeted regional countries in daily retaliatory drone and missile strikes, mainly targeting US interests. While attacks have largely stopped since the ceasefire that was reached between the warring parties on April 8, some have still occurred.

 

On Sunday, a nuclear power plant in the UAE was targeted with a drone, sparking a blaze. The drone entered the country from the “western border direction,” according to a defense ministry statement.

 

No casualties have been reported in the latest series of attacks.

 

The Trump administration has repeatedly called on Iraq to curb Iranian influence, pushing Baghdad to dissolve all armed factions, including the state-integrated Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF).

 

In recent weeks, Washington has placed several bounties of up to $10 million for information on multiple Iraqi militia leaders, and sanctioned them.

NEWSLETTER

Get the latest updates delivered to your inbox.