News

US envoy condemns drone attack targeting PM Barzani’s office, reiterates backing of arms control

Aug. 17, 2026 • 2 min read
Image of US envoy condemns drone attack targeting PM Barzani’s office, reiterates backing of arms control From left: Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani receives US envoy Tom Barrack in Erbil on June 16, 2026. Photo: KRG
Listen the audio version of this article

“Such aggression against our trusted Kurdish allies is unacceptable and a direct threat to regional stability,” US Special Envoy for IraqiBarrack wrote on X.

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region of Iraq - US Special Envoy for Iraq Tom Barrack on Monday condemned the attack on Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani's office, saying that “we will not condone or tolerate these hostilities.”

 

Kurdish counterterrorism forces on Monday said that two Iranian explosive-laden drones targeted Prime Minister Barzani’s office and the residence of the Region’s security chief in Erbil province. The attacks caused no casualties.

 

“Such aggression against our trusted Kurdish allies is unacceptable and a direct threat to regional stability,” Barrack, who was granted the Iraqi portfolio in May after managing Syria's political transition since 2025, wrote on X.

 

The attack was also condemned by the EU, UK, and Kurdish and Iraqi political actors earlier in the day.

 

“We fully support Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi’s leadership in restoring Iraq’s full sovereignty and ensuring all weapons and security forces remain under the authority of the Iraqi state,” Barrack added.

 

Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi has issued an end-of-September deadline by which time all militias are expected to hand over their weapons to state forces, an initiative that has enjoyed strong backing from Washington.

 

The Kurdistan Region’s leaders have repeatedly stressed Erbil's neutrality in the ongoing regional conflict, yet the Region has been subjected to hundreds of drone strikes since the breakout of the US-Israeli war on Iran in late February, with both Iranian forces and pro-Iran Iraqi militias having been responsible.

 

While Iran and Iran-backed armed groups claim the attacks chiefly target US interests in the Kurdistan Region, vital infrastructure has also been struck, including oil and gas facilities and residences of the Region’s leaders.

 

President Masoud Barzani said in late March that his residence was targeted five times, adding that he "remained silent to avoid provoking public anxiety and anger."

 

Kurdish security forces have also been the subject of attacks. In late March, six Kurdish Peshmerga soldiers were killed and 30 others injured in an Iranian ballistic missile attack in Erbil’s Soran administration.

NEWSLETTER

Get the latest updates delivered to your inbox.