News

Iraqi PM orders investigation into drone attack on PM Barzani's office

Aug. 17, 2026 • 2 min read
Image of Iraqi PM orders investigation into drone attack on PM Barzani's office Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani (right) receives Iraqi premier Ali al-Zaidi in Erbil on May 2, 2026. Photo: KRG
Listen the audio version of this article

"[Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi] has also directed that the results of the investigation be announced to the public at the earliest possible time, along with the disclosure of all circumstances surrounding the attack and the parties standing behind it," his office said

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region of Iraq - Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi on Monday ordered the formation of an investigative committee to uncover the details of a drone attack on Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani's office earlier in the day.

 

Kurdish counterterrorism forces on Monday said that two Iranian explosive-laden drones targeted Prime Minister Barzani’s office and the residence of the Region’s security chief in Erbil province. The attacks caused no casualties and purportedly entailed the use of the advanced Hadid-110 unmanned aerial systems.

 

The attack saw sweeping condemnation from Kurdish actors and Iraqi parties across the political spectrum, with the US, UK, and EU similarly having denounced the incident.

 

The office of the Iraqi prime minister announced later in the day that Zaidi "has directed the formation of an investigative committee tasked with uncovering the sources and origins of the attack," adding that the results are to be announced publicly "at the earliest possible time, along with the disclosure of all circumstances surrounding the attack and the parties standing behind it."

 

Since assuming office, Zaidi has sought to clamp down on violations of Iraqi sovereignty, coming as the country has been repeatedly targeted by Iranian strikes on US military bases and Kurdish opposition groups, as well as US, Israeli, and Saudi strikes on pro-Iran Iraqi militias.

 

The Kurdistan Region has been repeatedly targeted in the past year by both the Iranian state and Iran-aligned armed factions, the latter of which Zaidi has demanded disarm by the end of September.

 

In his statement condemning the Monday attack, US Special Envoy for Iraq Tom Barrack said, "We fully support Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi’s leadership in restoring Iraq’s full sovereignty and ensuring all weapons and security forces remain under the authority of the Iraqi state," while EU Ambassador Klemens Semtner asserted that "bringing all arms under the control of the state" will help to foster stability in the country. 

 

While Iran and Iran-backed armed groups claim the attacks chiefly target US interests in the Kurdistan Region, vital infrastructure has also been struck, including oil and gas facilities and residences of the Region’s leaders.

 

President Masoud Barzani said in late March that his residence was targeted five times, adding that he "remained silent to avoid provoking public anxiety and anger."

 

Kurdish security forces have also been the subject of attacks. In late March, six Kurdish Peshmerga soldiers were killed and 30 others injured in an Iranian ballistic missile attack in Erbil’s Soran administration.

NEWSLETTER

Get the latest updates delivered to your inbox.